Forget the skin cream especially if your low on funds. Bananas contain a myriad of vitamins and minerals including; Vitamin A, C, E, K, B6, potassium, zinc, and magnesium. Granted there are some other beneficial vitamins and minerals in bananas that I’m probably forgetting but for simplicity sake I’m going to focus on those previously listed.
Vitamins and minerals aren’t usually absorbed well by the skin under normal circumstances when the skin barrier is intact but when you are suffering from a breakout or chronic acne your skin actually has tiny holes in it which will allow irritants in and promote more frequent infections but on a positive note vitamins and minerals can be more readily absorbed by the skin. This is why the banana face mask is an effective remedy for those suffering from acne.
- Vitamin A is known to protect against infection, protect against sun damage and reduce sun sensitivity, and stimulate cell turnover.
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin E can reduce redness, hydrate the skin, reduce scars, fight free radicals, and absorb UVB light.
Recent research has suggested that a combination of Vitamin E and C can complement your sunscreen or even act as a natural sunscreen by increasing the time you can be in the sun without being sun burnt. We don’t want to be sun burnt because that damages our skin and dries it out which increases the chance our skin can get infected and experience a breakout.
How to make the face mask:
- First find a ripe banana (that’s a yellow banana we don’t want any green ones)
- Cut or break the banana up into manageable sizes
- Mash the banana in a clean mixing bowl until it is near puree consistency (do no include the peel)
- If you prefer you can use a blender first then add the contents to the bowl
- At this point you are done
- You can also add honey or lemon to the mix for different effects
- Apply the face mask to your entire face and leave on for 10-15 min
* You may want to consider blending or mashing multiple bananas at the beginning of the week for a bulk supply and sticking the bowl in the refrigerator for later use after each mask session*
If you don’t want to make your own mask and would prefer a premade solution check out this product.